I am 19+...

The rules for motorcycle and moped licences will change from 19 January 2013. Here's what you need to know...


The motorcycle you use for your test must:

→ Have a speedometer measuring speed in mph
→ Display L plates (‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales) on the front and rear
→ Be insured, taxed and roadworthy and have no engine warning lights showing
→ Be suitable for the test you’re taking

Once you have passed you will get a Class A2 Licence. If you then want to progress to larger machines you do not need to complete another CBT or Theory Test.

The Class A2 Licence allows you to ride any medium motorcycle up to 35 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg), bike mustn’t be derived from a vehicle with more than twice its power.

Once you’ve got your A2 Licence and have ridden for 2 years (or you turn 24 years of age) you can go on to take a further Direct Access test to get your Full Category A licence and be able to ride any size bike.


MCIAC GOLD Acreditation LOGO